Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Day 5 - Tuesday

I know it has taken me so long to do all my Israel updates but I don't think its by chance that I'm doing this day at Christmastime.  This Christmas just has meant a little more to me because of this trip.  It was so amazing to be in the place where Jesus was born.

Our first day in Jerusalem.
We started the day by driving to Bethlehem.  It was interesting because Bethlehem is Palestinian so they had a huge wall we had to go through with tight security.  It was crazy.  We went to this shop in Bethlehem to do some shopping and I got myself a Palestinian boyfriend.
(Sorry for me creepy look) But I got some free stuff! Jamie got jealous and Eric got mad because the guy on the right said I needed a Palestinian husband.  It was funny.

We then headed to the Church of the Nativity.  It was apparently where Jesus was born they built this huge shrine and church on it.  It was a little gaudy but still cool.
We then went to the Shepherd's field which was calm and peaceful and much easier to feel the spirit.  We sat around and had a lesson and sang some Christmas hymns.  The spirit was amazing.  My favorite was when we sang "Picture a Christmas" as we looked around at Bethlehem and pictured that first Christmas all around us.
 Brother Top talked about the shepherds and the significance of them.  They were the first witnesses of Jesus Christ.  It was not a coincidence that it was these specific shepherds.  He said they were selected and consecrated, the angel showed them where to go and they "went with haste". They held the priesthood and were watching the flock of God, a flock without blemish.
Then he talked about Mary.  Mary did not have to go to Bethlehem (only Joseph had to) so why would she go?  Why would she make the 5 day journey at 9 months pregnant?  The stable with a cave (which we were able to walk through one what it would've been like) with a stone manger.  Brother Top mentioned how the inn keeper showed mercy (Luke 2:7) to them by allowing them to into the cave. The inns were packed and the cave allowed them to have the privacy that her delivery deserved. It was a really sacred experience that I will never forget.  
We then went across the street to eat lunch in a Bedouin tent and it was delicious.  Eric told me and Cha that the pitas, hummus, and pickled veggies was our lunch so Cha and I stuffed ourselves because we were starving.  Soon after we mentioned how full we were, they brought around the meat course.  It was the best food we had all trip but we were too full to eat it! I still haven't forgiven him for it.
We then went to the Israel Museum which was super cool.  It had a model of the Holy Land as it would have been during the time of Jesus and it was really cool, especially the size of the temple that stood out to me compared to the rest of the city.
It was SOOOOO hot. But at least we got these cool hats.
This is an oil lamp from the time of Jesus
Inside the museum we were able to see the Dead Sea Scrolls (that apparently we weren't allowed to take pictures of...OOPS).

That night we went back to the hotel for dinner and then went out to Ben Yehuda street for crepes and ice cream.  Its a party street with live music and shopping.  It was so fun to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment